Sunday, January 24, 2010

Tech Savy

A Vision of Students Today

Wow, What a video! It really hit home for me, I am a 21 yr old college student who works full time to support myself and finance my schooling. I now how it feels to multi task, sometimes I load myself down with so much that I can barely get through the day without feeling like my brain and body is about to give out! I don't have off days I have actually forgotten what one of those feels like and I don't imagine I will until sometime in between the spring and summer semester. I thought this video was well planned out, it really grabbed my attention. i feel like it captured the stress, anxiety and alot of times hopelessness that college students deal with on a day to day basis.
If I were to add anything to this video that would make it more personal to me, it would probably have to be how broke most of us are, lol! Textbook prices and tuition keep going up and up and there doesn't seem to be a ceiling for it. The price of living alone is enough to make some want to drop out and go to work just to make ends meet, especially when a majority of your class time is spent in classes that don't have anything to with your degree.

Not All About Technology
Mrs. Hines blog on how technology could be used in a classroom to improve teaching and learning methods was fantastic. I couldnt tell you how many times I have sat in a class with a teacher who was barely able to run a power point slide show on their several thousand dollar smart board. I would often times wonder how much of my tuition money went to paying for this wonderful piece of equipment that I was getting no use out of. If a teacher is going to use technology to aid in their teaching they need to know how it works and what they can do with it.
In todays world everything is computerized, kids are so techno savy now that it blows my mind! My soon to be eight year old sister can do more things with her mothers laptop then I can wrap my head around! We as fututre educators need to pour ourselves into learning how we can use different forms of technology to help children learn. There are so many different ways to reach out and grab students attention and we just arent utalizing them. My little brother cares nothing about reading books or taking notes but if he can download it or google it he is all over it. He walks around glued to his Ipod touch, and occasionaly calls me up to tell me about some new discovery he has made, using the internet of course, for a resaerch project for school. Kids love technology, they eat it up! If they can learn how it all works, so can we and we should.

Fischbowl
I do so enjoy his play on words. :)
" If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write." I agree with this statement. We as educators need to know how technology works because our students do! It is not ok at all to be proud of ones' illiteracy in technology. Yes, it is evolving every day and alot of the things we learn today will be outdated tomorrow, but that doesnt mean we should throw our hands up and say forget about it!
One of the reasons I am going into education is because I love to learn, and continue to learn I shall. If we ignore the need to incorparte technology succesfully into our classrooms we are failing our students. We are educators and we need to do exactly that. These students are our future, they will hold jobs in the future that do not exist today. Teachers need to be able to equip their students with all the knowledge that they will need to make it in the world. That wont happen unless we first educate ourselves.

Media Count

Gary Hayes Social Media Counter blows my mind. It is crazy to think so much is going on right now, but then agian it is crazy to think that theres not. We live in the age of technology and there is no escape! Its exciting to think about where we will be in the next 30 years considering that 30 years ago computers were just begining to emerge on the scene.

8 comments:

  1. i agree with you on the subject of technology and how it is not used enough by our teachers today. I also feel a little mad when i am sitting in class, and the teacher does not use the projector for their lectures simply because they do not know how to. my favorite is when they act like there is something wrong with the projector, when really it works just fine, they just dont want to admit they dont know how to use that devise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison, a good start. Please correct your spelling. "I now how" I believe you meant to say " I know how".. "i feel like it" please capitalize the "i". "I couldnt tell you", should be "couldn't". If you are using Firefox, it will let you know when you have miss spelled words. Please proof read and update your blog. Other wise, a good start, just need to be more careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are now 2 weeks behind in your posts. You cannot afford to get behind in this class. You still have time but you must get started now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comments were right on about the need to use technology in the classroom. And I can relate to being a multi tasker in this day and age. I too work full time and go to school. It is very difficult to properly plan and execute both and actually sleep. I need about two more days in the week. Planning and sticking to my plan helps a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right when you talk about multitasking. I am a mother, wife, friend, counselor, and whatever else my life may entail. This is were I sit down and plan out my day and I follow it to the mark. Without it my day is in chaos and my world is upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Allison, my name is Heather and I’m in class F. I agree that teachers today and future teachers should not just teach but be learners as well. I’m a special education major and I was able to be in several special education classes since starting school and none of those classes used any type of technology. Just think of the possibility that awaits these students.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Allison,
    Teachers do need technology and should be able to use it well or better than well. As a possible elementary teacher I want to be able to use technology with my class and allow the to explore and understand it as a tool they can use later on in life. That way they will not be one of the few who know how to use it. And I am also excited to know the knowledge they already have and bring it to class with them so that I too may learn from them.

    ReplyDelete